Monday, October 29, 2007

World Series Thoughts

The Fall Classic came and went before we ever learned how to spell Tulowitski (I guessed - it might be wrong, thus illustrating my point). The Rockies could not capitalize on offensive opportunities, got nothing from two of their top three starters and seemed to have lost the magic of their 21 out of 22 run.

Clearly, the Red Sox were the better team up and down. Better line-up. Better bench. Better starters. Better bullpen. You name it. The Rockies needed to play great to compete and they never played very well at all.

I'm disappointed in the series because the baseball season was so good. A seven-game classic with David challenging Goliath would have been the icing on top, but it was not to be. I'm also especially disappointed because my family bought my father-in-law tickets to Game 5 at Coors Field for his birthday.

As for the Red Sox, good grief. They were locked in. That was one of the most impressive performances over seven games (three vs. Cleveland, four vs. Colorado) I can ever remember. They pound the ball, they pitch the ball, they field it - they make the game seem easy and even a bit unfair. Welcome to the new Evil Empire. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

As I watched the game on a Frontier flight home last night (thank you, DirecTV!), I thought about how many times the Red Sox dangled Manny Rameriz in trade talks. Manny makes everyone crazy, but he can flat out hit the baseball. What a mistake it would have been to unload him, regardless of whether it brought A-Rod to Boston (and let me join the crowd of people who are disgusted with the timing of his announcement - that was pathetic).

And how about the Beckett & Lowell for Hanley Rameriz trade? Has a deal ever worked out better for both teams? Rameriz is fantastic, but Beckett and Lowell put the Sox over-the-top for a championship. John Schuerholz wrote that he hopes his trades work out best for both teams; he isn't hoping to "screw" someone. This trade is the perfect example of that.

Looking ahead to next year, who will challenge this team? Cleveland? New York? Anaheim? Detroit? Boston does look so much better on paper, especially as Ellsbery and Pedroia mature. With two championships out of the last four, we could have a baseball dynasty on our hands.

3 comments:

Maximum Jack said...

Not really on topic, but I think the Bravos made a heckuva a deal yesterday. A buddy of mine who is a diehard Tigers Fan, told me that Jurrjens is the real deal and he's only 21.

Chris Carpenter said...

I'm glad to hear that. I was sad to hear Renteria was gone, but I knew it was going to happen with Escobar ready and Renteria's expensive salary.

cappadocia said...

Nobody's as evil as the Yankees.