Friday, October 5, 2007

Friday Scenic City Sports Update

Friday is here & we have an amazing sports weekend in front of us. I mentioned some of the fun games yesterday, but do you realize there are 7(!) college football games between ranked teams this weekend? I guess only 6 now after USC took care of Kentucky last night. I saw just enough of the game to convince me I was right about it pre-game - the Gamecocks are really good and Kentucky is improved, but not great. Seriously, how sad will it be when Kentucky finishes in 5th once again in the SEC East? This is the best Kentucky team I can remember, but they are still the 5th best team in the division, probably the 8th best team in the SEC. That must be frustrating.

FRIDAY UPDATE!!!

Tennessee Vols

Before we get to Saturday's game, bad news from the NFL as former Vol Travis Henry failed another drug test and will be suspended for a year. There is some discussion about a 'B' test and court appeal, but it does not look good for Henry. You have to shake your head at this - the guy seems to have found the perfect home in Denver, but still cannot avoid the weed? My wife asked me why the Titans let Henry go and I didn't have a good answer. Maybe this is it.

UGA game - again, very little news going into the game. I guess that is what a bye week will do for you. Fulmer has bragged about some excellent practices this week with the focus on tackling. Sounds like a good idea to me. I have no idea what to think about Saturday. I thought we could compete with Florida, but we couldn't. After watching them against Auburn, I am not sure they are even that good (though, in UF's defense, they are really banged up). I hate to think what the Vol Nation is going do if we get whipped at home tomorrow - this really might be a make-or-break game for Fulmer. Here's hoping he gets the job done - I'm going 27-20 Vols.

Next game - vs. Georgia 3:30 pm

Tennessee Titans & Atlanta Falcons

Interesting article from USAToday comparing the way the Titans have moved forward without Pacman Jones versus how the Falcons have moved forward without Michael Vick. Sure, it is a corner vs. a quarterback, but it is a fascinating angle on the game. I think Jeff Fisher deserves a ton of credit for how the Titans have moved beyond the Pacman mess. Don't forget how the Titans moved past the Albert Haynesworth mess last year (and Haynesworth is having a dominant year right now). Next to Belichick, is there a better coach in football? I don't think so.

High School Football

I covered the McCallie/Baylor game in yesterday's article. The big public school battle tonight is Red Bank at Brainerd. The Panthers are having a great season, but Red Bank is Red Bank. I imagine they will dominate the line of scrimmage and take care of Brainerd. Bradley Central at Ooltewah ought to be a good game as well. Ooltewah has been somewhat of a disappointment this year, but may have righted things last Friday against Maplewood.

Nashville Predators

The Preds get off to a great start to the 2007-08 season with a 4-0 win over Colorado. Does it matter?

Next game - Saturday vs. Dallas 7:00 pm

Disney Princesses on Ice

Speaking of ice sports, last night I witnessed a Yamaguchi-esque performance from Cinderella at the UTC Arena. She had power. She had grace. She had my heart by the end of it. There was an odd moment during the show, however, when Ariel clubbed Snow White in the knee before her long program. Seemed to be in bad taste to me. The highlight was seeing Abby's face when it all started - eyeballs as big as baseballs - and her dancing to the 7 dwarfs songs. Abby does an arm move that can best be described as a cross between a symphony conductor's instructions and someone trying to "raise the roof." It is mildy violent, but totally adorable.

Have a great weekend. Play some golf, watch some baseball and football, and GO BLUE TORNADO!

No comments: