Thursday, October 4, 2007

Thursday Scenic City Sports Update

Very little going on to update, so this will be brief. The McCallie/Baylor article will be up later today.

Nashville Predators

Leading off with southern hockey? I told you - it is a slow morning. The Predators open their season against the Colorado Avalance, but the real story is that the Predators future in Nashville does not look good. Tonight's season opener is not sold out. I cannot imagine hockey in Nashville is going to last much longer, especially if the team doesn't improve. It is hard to support a niche sport when the team is not especially good.

Next game - tonight vs. Colorado Avalance 7:00 p.m.

Tennessee Vols

Not much news going into the UT/Georgia game. Mark Richt has seemingly had Fulmer's number for the last few years, becoming the new Spurrier in many Vols' minds. I like Richt as a coach, but I am not sold on Matthew Stafford yet. If the Vols can get some heat on Stafford, I think he will make some big mistakes on Saturday. The problem I see for the Vols defense (beside the inability to tackle and occasional blown coverage...) is going to be the Bulldog running game. It will be tough to get heat on Stafford if the Dawgs are getting 4-5 yards a carry on the ground. If the Vols can stuff the run, I think they win on Saturday.

Disney Princesses on Ice

This is where I will be tonight with Martha, Abby and my three nieces and nephews. As a man, I ought to be dreading every moment of this, but I'm actually really excited to see Abby's face through the whole thing. Plus, I'm a sucker for triple axles.

The weekend is near - McCallie/Baylor, Vols/Dawgs, Falcons/Titans, MLB playoffs, Superdrag reunion in Nashville - can't wait.

No comments: