Monday, September 10, 2007

Under the Radar

Stuff you might have missed amongst the NFL and Michigan debacles this weekend:

Tiger Woods looks poised to add the first FedEx Cup to his trophy mantle. It is a shame we couldn't see Phil vs. Tiger down the stretch of this somewhat forced championship, but the longer the golf season goes into the fall, the better by me.

South Florida football shocked Auburn in overtime at Auburn, but still isn't in the Top 25. Great article here about their 11-year old program. Are they the second best team in Florida right now?

Roger Federer dominated another tennis major not held in Paris, finishing off Novak Djokovic in straight sets. Not as impressive as his domination of a game Andy Roddick, but still other-worldly. He is the Tiger Woods of Tennis, but I really wish he would quit forcing the fall after he wins.

Curtis Granderson became the third player in the history of baseball to put up 20 home runs, triples, doubles and stolen bases in a single season. Shouldn't this guy get some MVP consideration? I know A-Rod has it locked up in the American League, but Granderson's season is one for the ages.

Boise State's winning streak, the longest in the country, is over thanks to the best looking freshmen quarterback in the country (it ain't Jimmy Clausen), Washington's Jake Locker. Okay, he is a redshirt and Clausen is a true freshmen, but Locker has looked like a 5th-year senior in his first two games. Clausen looked like a boy among men against Penn State. Ian Johnson's Heisman hopes took a big hit in Seattle.

Pacman Jones is half of the TNA Tag Team Champions of the World, pinning the legendary Sting last night. We knew he could cover people.

Dale Earnhardt Jr. failed to make the NASCAR Chase for the Nextel Cup. The most popular driver in the world is starting to remind me of Danica Patrick - good looking, over-exposed and never wins.

And finally, Britney Spears's career may be as dead as the Braves playoff hopes after last night's comeback performance at the MTV VMAs.

6 comments:

Maximum Jack said...

Ahh, tennis. You want to talk under the radar you got to mention Justine Henin. She just won her 7th major (one more than Venus and one less than Serena and oh by the way she beat both of them on the way to this title).

The guy R-Fed beat yesterday, Djokovic is exciting. That was the first time I've seen Rog look human in the final of a major in a really long time (contrast that to the way he beat Roddick in the quarters where he was infallible). Novak should have won the first two sets easily. Against Nadal at Wimbledon, you could just see Federer lift his game when his back was against the wall. Yesterday, he was just lucky to be playing someone with very little exeperience. You're right about the fake fall-- it makes me cringe every time.

Chris Carpenter said...

Henin reminds me of Retief Goosen in golf. She is good, but there isn't one thing about her that interests me. She isn't a freakish athlete like the Williams sisters, she isn't as sexy as Sharapova, she isn't as powerful as Davenport, she isn't as graceful as Graf...she just wins. She is like Pete Sampras, but more boring.

Maximum Jack said...

I agree, she's pretty boring which is why she flys under the radar-- I was rooting for Venus. Fed's pretty boring too, and I don't think I've ever rooted for him in a match.

Latimer TNAZ said...

Is Dale Earnhardt Jr. good looking? I didn't think that I would care about the FedEx thing, but I was wrong. I find myself rooting against Phil more and more each week. I really used to like him, but now everytime he opens his mouth I want to kick him.

Latimer TNAZ said...

Oh yeah...

Your and idiot.Get a life.

Chris Carpenter said...

Phil is getting harder and harder to like, isn't he? I have always pulled for Tiger and Phil, which might be like pulling for the Sox and Yankees. I don't know. I like both of them. The whole FedEx Cup concept is great, but I actually sympathize with the players a bit. The payment goes into their retirement? How lame is that? And it would help if there was a week off in the middle for guys to go home and rest. It doesn't sound like it is going to change soon, but it could be really fun to watch if they do it right.