Saturday, September 1, 2007

Live posting tonight during UT/Cal game

11:57 pm - Oh well. I had visions of Oregon/Oklahoma for a minute (TD/on-side/TD), but no luck. On to Southern Miss.

11:54 pm - Something awful, then something good. The Mitchell injury sure looked scary. It was great to see him move his hand. Sure reminded me of Icky (Inky) Johnson. There are few things that make me happier than seeing cutesy football backfire. Great call on the quick sneak, Tedford.

11:40 pm - We're getting physically whipped now. Unless something good happens soon, I'm done here. I'm pleased with the effort & hopeful for the SEC. My hope coming into the season was to split the Berkeley/Gainesville games. Let's hope we show up in the Swamp.

11:35 pm - 3 & out.

11:29 pm - So much for the momentum...that was an impressive Cal drive. I had a feeling we weren't going to keep them from scoring again for the rest of the game, so I'm still hopeful. Down 14 - not much time left. This is a make-or-break drive coming up.

11:08 pm - Nice kick, freshman. What does it take to get interference over the middle?

11:02 pm - 4th quarter, down 10, but we have the momentum. I still don't feel good, but I'm still pretty happy with the game so far. Ainge looks great. I think we are giving him enough time to send the receivers deeper down field, but why mess with what's working?

10:57 pm - 3 & out - we're getting the ball back with lots of time and only down 10. I really wish Fulmer had decided to take the 3 points earlier. If Cal wants to keep letting us have 5-8 yards every play like Herbstreit said, we'll win this game.

10:35 pm - Not Cutcliffe's finest call there...

10:33 pm - Foster needed to finish that run. I think Fulmer may decide to kick the field goal after this timeout. No replay on that TD catch in the endzone? I don't know if we get it, but it was worth a look.

10:26 pm - So that wasn't actually a play, just Longshore noticing our DBs having a discussion instead of covering the slot. You still haven't impressed me Tedford. You do have some fun weapons to play with on that offensive though.

10:22 pm - I'm eating my words on Tedford after that TD play. I've never seen that before. And Herbstreit just compared our defense to a JV squad. This isn't looking good...

10:18 pm - Are we really going back into the trees? No, these are just cheapskates watching the game, smoking something that Musberger is all giggly about. Pac-10 football - gotta love it.

10:14 pm - Now we have to kickoff to Best? We ought to on-side it the rest of the game. It was fun watching Clay Buchholz get a no-no during halftime. That guy has a nasty curveball.

9:48 pm - Looks like we're going to the half down 10. It feels like we deserve better, but I think we're the second best team on the field right now. I'm not too upset. Be back for the 3rd quarter.

9:42 pm - Punt it through the up-rights, Colquitt. Or out-of-bounds.

9:39 pm - My man Maximum Jack just made a great point - those are some nice looking trees outside the stadium.

9:36 pm - I thought we just had to worry about Jackson, but this Best kid is awesome. This is a heavyweight slugfest right now. I'm really excited about how good our receivers look right now. We need to hog the ball right now. I'm going to quit typing "right now" right now. Damn, a WR just dropped it. I'm still not sold on the no-huddle against this team, but I trust Cutcliffe.

9:24 pm - Cutcliffe, Cutcliffe, Cutcliffe!!! Brilliant call on second down. Tedford, the offensive guru, hasn't done anything that has caught Chavis off-guard yet, but Cutcliffe is on top of his game right now. I am feeling so much better about the season right now.

9:14 pm - Ainge has looked sharp until that last pass. We had better not kick it anywhere near Jackson again tonight. I should have written this earlier, but what was going on with Musberger's anti-hippie rant earlier? It went on forever. Oh no, we are back to the tree-people. WHO CARES???

9:04 pm - I'm still not convinced that Cal can stop our offense, even without Coker, even with Ainge's broken pinky, even with our new wide receivers...and now they just stopped us. Foster needed to go to the sideline. Let's see about punting it to Jackson...oh no.

8:50 pm - The difference between David Cutcliffe and Randy Sanders - when UT used to do the whole-offense-looks-over-to-get-an-adjustment thing under Sanders, it never worked. Cutcliffe can actually see what will work and calls it. I tell you what - I love the personality of this team already.

8:49 pm - Foster came to play tonight!

8:47 pm - I thought we had the sneak stuffed...we are going to be playing with a short field all night if we avoid kicking it to Jackson. Quick complaint - why do coaches hold up the index finger for an extra point in the first quarter when there is clearly no way anyone would consider going for two?

8:40 pm - We are not kicking it to DeSean tonight. Right as I type that, he grabs a first down catch. My only problem with the no huddle is that we aren't keeping him on the sideline. We'll see how that plays out.

8:29 pm - There we go - that is how you recover. That was one impressive drive. Can they stop us?

8:26 pm - Let's see how we recover from that. Herbstreit finally pointed out that it was a backwards lateral regardless of whether his arm was going forward.

8:19 pm - Uh oh.

8:17 pm - No huddle?

8:14 pm - Here we go...man, those Cal jerseys are ugly. Fulmer wants the ball first on the road...he has more faith in the offense than me. That is a good sign.

8:05 pm - Was that just 50 Cent and Perry Ferrell singing, "I Just Want To Celebrate?" To what weird demographic is that supposed to be appeal?

7:56 pm - Getting close to game time. For the record, I have a terrible feeling about this game. I'm expecting the worst, so hopefully I'll get a nice surprise. I also thought Georgia was going to struggle against Oklahoma State, but so far I've been wrong there. Hopefully I'll be wrong about the Vols as well.

6 comments:

cappadocia said...

This doesn't bode well.

Maximum Jack said...

"Inky" Johnson.

shiek dobson said...

the only thing i hate more than a tennessee loss is not being able to watch it. i could have done something...i could have contributed...maybe i could have made the difference.
i am so sad.

Chris Carpenter said...

Icky Woods, Inky Johnson - got it.

Shiek - you missed a good game. It was a wild one - back and forth, big plays on each side. They made a few more than we did. I watched a little of the Phil Fulmer show today & he pointed out that we failed to convert three 3rd & 1 chances during the game, one of which led us to the punt that Jackson returned. Fulmer said the punt was supposed to go out of bounds, so I guess we weren't planning on challenging him.

I have heard some national guys say Cal dominated the game - which means they didn't watch it. We got dominated at times up front, but so did they. Our offense pretty much moved the ball at will throughout most of the game. We were down 7 in the 4th quarter. That isn't dominated. Not worth getting worked up about, but a little annoying. I'm pulling for Cal to win out (with that offense, they ought to be undefeated for USC) to make the loss look better.

cappadocia said...

I agree with you about what you said about the national media. Most things I have seen or read have treated it solely as Cal game, as if it was only a matter of making up for last years humiliating defeat.

Maximum Jack said...

I don't know how I missed the Vols failing to convert three third and short situtations, but I watched the Phil Fulmer show too-- painful. On a good note, they said that Xavier Mitchell suffered a concussion but no spinal injury. :wipes sweat off brow: