Sunday, September 9, 2007

LIVE posting today throughout the first week of the NFL Season

8:53 pm - I am going to shut down the live blogging for the day. Not my most productive venture, I know. I'm not sure there were any big surprises today - Randy Moss looks like a steal for the Pats, the Steelers look to be back...the Titans might have been the biggest surprise, though I'm not sold on the Jaguars. Biggest disappointment? It is either my fantasy team (27 points so far with only one player left on Monday) or that the John Cougar Mellancamp Chevy commercials are back. It is easily the latter.

Good night - see you in the morning.

8:40 pm - Three hours between posts - pretty weak, huh? The yard is now mowed, my dog went for a jog and dinner has been consumed. What did I miss? Still not much scoring throughout the day. After a day of watching college football, where the various offenses and athletes seem nearly impossible to stop, the pound-the-ball NFL mentality is, frankly, a little dull.

My Cowboys gave up a long TD to start the game, but the offense looked good coming back down for a FG. Is there a more over-rated player in the NFL than Roy Williams? He hits hard, but he kills the Cowboys in the secondary.

5:33 pm - Quick look at scores - boy, do the Patriots and Colts look like they are on a collision course for the AFC championship after Week 1? Lots of last-second wins today - Packers, Broncos, Redskins. Not much scoring, but exciting finishes.

5:28 pm - A much-needed haircut later (at Sports Clips - the football doesn't stop) and I'm back. Not much offense in the Chargers/Bears game so far. I was driving home, listening on the radio as the announcers relayed a story about Grossman thanking Lovie Smith and Ron Turner for believing in him. Next play? Grossman interception.

4:20 pm - Yes - we have the Chargers/Bears game here. The paper today listed this or the Bucs/Seahawks games as possibilities. I might have been on the phone with Directv the very second I was exposed to that yawner instead of the best match-up of the season.

4:18 pm - Bonehead play for the Eagles & the Packers win at Lambeau. I know fielding the punt saves field position, but the punt was short & the Eagles were going to have good field position. On a Fantasy side note, ESPN is not giving me credit for a Packers defensive touchdown despite the Green Bay special teams scoring on an Eagles fumble. I don't understand why that isn't a touchdown. Regardless, I'm getting killed in my league by my dad.

4:08 pm - Did I just hear a cover of The Jam's "Pretty Green" over highlights of the Eagles/Packers? That is...awesome.

3:51 pm - Titans are kneeling & this one is over. Big road win for the Titans behind Chris Brown and the maligned defense. What was I saying about the Gerrard era?

3:40 pm - Fantasy Update You Don't Care About: My team is getting killed. My two RBs, which were my first two picks, are both 2nd stringers (Bush & Jones-Drew). Laverneus Coles is killing me and, for some reason, ESPN hasn't given me credit for Green Bay's defensive touchdown yet. Houshmanzadeh (did I spell that right?) is my ace-in-the-hole Monday night, but I may already be drawing dead at that point.

3:35 pm - Steve Beuerlein is a moron. At least Don Crique called him out on it. Why would the Titans be trying to run clock on 2nd and long, up 3 with 5:00 to go in the game? Beuerlein - you were a great back-up quarterback for my Pokes, but you ought to be a back-up color man as well. I guess that is the reason you are doing the Titans/Jags game instead of the Pats/Jets.

3:24 pm - I remember hearing from several "experts" about how bad the Titans defense was going to be this year. They sure look good so far, especially up front. On the offensive side of the ball, the line is moving Stroud & Henderson around for big gains on the ground. Chris Brown looks like the back the Titans thought they were getting a few years back. I'm awfully impressed with Tennessee today.

2:48 pm - Checking to see what I missed...are the Texans up 17 points on the Chiefs? As soon I leave Houston, the Texans become competitive? Or are the Chiefs just that bad?

2:41 pm - Whoa...I flipped it over to the Falcons/Vikings game and fell asleep. If any town in the world is designed for NFL Sunday Ticket, it is Chattanooga. You are stuck with the Titans on one channel and the Falcons on the other, no matter how awful either team might be. I know Martha and I decided this was money well spent on other things, but cancelling Sunday Ticket may be the greatest mistake in the history of my life.

1:48 pm - Jeff Fisher didn't read my Take the Points entry. I just told Martha I hated this call and look what happened. Steve Beurlein is now questioning the call - WHY DIDN'T YOU QUESTION IT WHEN THEY WERE LINING UP? That is what you are paid to do, not second-guess after it fails. Idiot.

1:44 pm - 17-0 Steelers. I can hear the boos in Ohio from here.

1:39 pm - 10-0 Steelers over Browns. O Romeo, Romeo wherefore wilt thou be working next year? Hopefully he'll have a good view of Bill Cowher coaching his Browns.

1:35 pm - Haynesworth got flagged for tackling Jones-Drew too hard. That is ridiculous - a reputation call. And now...touchdown. So far, so good for the Gerrard era in Jax.

1:26 pm - Lunch & football - wonderful combo. Titans drive looked good, but only 3 points. Nice start to the Joey Harrington era - pick 6 for the Vikings.

1:05 pm - Titans/Jags is my early game. Nice kickoff return...fumble...Titans still have it. Is that a good or bad omen to start the season?

1:00 pm - The first Sunday of NFL games. I'm excited, but not obnoxiously excited like some of the people I've watched on TV this morning. I'm sorry, but you look like a dork with a giddy smile on your face about some football games. I don't mean to be a downer, but I find some of the excitement to be nauseating.

Quick side note - we cancelled NFL Sunday Ticket this year after having it the last two seasons. It is expensive and makes you feel trapped in the house on Sunday, but I'm already missing it.

No comments: