Saturday, September 15, 2007

Complete Embarrassment

There is a large amount of anger and alcohol running through this post, so please excuse spelling and grammatical errors. I have been a Tennessee fan since I could walk, been through some wonderful highs and depressing lows, but I don't remember feeling this upset about the state of Tennessee football.

Have we ever looked so over-matched and out-coached in a single afternoon?

I wrote an infamous email a few years back in which I wished for a disastrous season to rid the Tennessee program of Randy Sanders and his clueless offensive scheme. To my amazement, it actually happened. The Vols went 5-6, Sanders resigned and it seemed like Tennessee might return to past glories.

Two years later, we look worse than I can ever remember.

Here is a question that best describes the current state of Tennessee football - how many players on either side of the ball are going to be professional football players?

Hefney? Berry someday? Coker?

There are NO surefire professionals playing for the Vols right now. Today, it showed. The Vols defense gave up chunks of yards on every snap and the offense hoped to pick up three or four at a time.

I'm sure there are bloggers and callers venting about our offensive and defensive coordinators right now. Not me. I'm venting about our personnel. Where are these 5 star recruits right now? Where are the athletes?

What is Cutcliffe supposed to do with an offensive line that gets whipped on every running play, wide receivers that are all possession receivers and running backs that can't shake anyone?

What is Chavis supposed to do with a line that can't provide any rush, linebackers who are as athletic as I am, and corners who get into perfect position and then choke when the ball comes their way?

Seriously. What part of the Tennessee program is solid right now? And how did we get to this point? How are we this far behind the college football world? Cal and Florida are in another athletic stratosphere from the Vols.

Not only that, but where was the fight from the Vols? Tebow's last score, the Gators' second string...that was absolutely embarrassing. I don't want the Vols to become a dirty team, but it would have been nice to see somebody get nasty down the stretch about Meyer running up the score on us. I can't remember seeing any fire out of anyone today.

I've always been a Fulmer supporter. The guy took us to a National Championship. He wins more than he loses in the toughest conference in college football. He runs a clean program. All that leads me to this - either he has to improve this program or he has to go. I cannot envision Fulmer ever beating Urban Meyer after today. I can't envision us beating South Carolina, Georgia, Arkansas or Alabama this year. We need to become more athletic and get some true depth on the roster in the next couple of years or there will no longer be any excuse for keeping Fulmer around.

I wish I could joke about the whole Tebow/black guy love affair or rail about Meyer's blatant running up of the score at the end (1st down with 1:30 left and you don't take a knee?), but I can't. I feel nothing but anger about this afternoon. I cannot fathom how Tennessee has fallen to the point that it gets dominated by a sophomore quarterback and a defense with no pass rush.

When does basketball season start?

3 comments:

Maximum Jack said...

I'll be honest. I watched UT's first series and Florida's punt return and then turned it off. Last night I watched a four-hour marathon between NY and Boston, and I've been sick all weekend from that 6-run 8th inning. I seriously thought I was going to throw up after the Florida touchdown. To add insult to injury, I just watched KY pull out the upset against Louisville. Woodson looked pretty awesome. Who's the QB coach in Lexington?

Chris Carpenter said...

Did Woodson get to second base with his roommate on the sideline? He is no Tebow.

Just remember that MTSU's offense looked pretty awesome against Louisville too. I wish I had turned it off. There was a brief moment of hope after Berry's pick as we had the ball down eight before all hell broke loose. Was I the only one who, after CBS showed the way Ainge was handing the ball off, thought, "That is going to go wrong at some point"?

It did.

Not to be too alarmist, but Tennessee could easily lose to Kentucky and Vanderbilt this year. In fact, Mississippi State is our easiest conference game and they just won at Auburn!

And not to be even more of an alarming alarmist, but Arkansas State beat SMU yesterday and gave Texas a real game.

Maximum Jack said...

Yeah, I actually picked KY to win but after watching the final few minutes of the game I was quite impressed with the way Wildcats handled that last drive-- especially considering the 15 yard personal foul penalty.

To add to the alarms, South Carolina beat the Dawgs down in Athens too. Before the season I thought 8 or 9 wins was not out of reach, now I'm not sure if we'll get 6.

On the bright side, I think TN lost to two great teams. Of course, I did not actually watch yesterday so I can't be sure about the Gators. Cal could win out and if anyone is going to beat LSU it will be the offense that scored 59 points against us yesterday. Both were road losses for us. Let's see how we do against a good team at home before we bury this squad. We'll know more after October 6th.