Friday, December 21, 2007

Taylor, Bolden & McCoy Out For Wisconsin

Phillip Fulmer kept making cryptic comments about academic reports coming this Friday and, sure enough, the news was not good. Lucas Taylor, Demonte Boldin and Rico McCoy are all out of the bowl game against Wisconsin for academic reasons.

To me, Boldin is the biggest problem since Wisconsin likes to run the ball and our line has been iffy all year. We do seem to have some depth there, so hopefully someone like Mapu can step into the void.

I've never been overly impressed with McCoy, but he is only a sophomore. Our linebackers will have to play well against the Badger run game, so whoever gets the call to fill McCoy's shoes will need to play big.

From what I've read on message boards, people seem to be most concerned with Lucas Taylor. I'm not. I like him, but he doesn't strike me as much better than Rogers, Briscoe or Jones even if he did get over 1,000 yards for the season. We can throw it to those guys, Brown, the Cothams and Foster out of the backfield. One receiver doesn't bother me.

Is it just me or does everyone care as little about this game as I do? For whatever reason, I cannot get excited about being back in the Outback Bowl or about playing Wisconsin. Maybe it is the LSU hangover or maybe I've just moved on to basketball, but for some reason I have thought very little about this game.

No comments: