Friday, August 31, 2007

So Long, Sylvester

Candidates for the soon-to-be available head coaching position at Mississippi State:

1) David Cutcliffe - UT Offensive Genius; would love to stick it to the Rebels up-state.
2) Tommy West - turned University of Memphis around, ought to leave now that cupboard (i.e. DeAngelo Williams) is empty.
3) Houston Nutt - he is always a candidate anytime there is a job opening.
4) Nick Saban - does anyone actually think he is going to stay at Alabama long?
5) Jackie Sherrill - sounds pretty good right about now, doesn't he?

Seriously, did Mississippi State look pathetic last night or what? You knew after their first offensive play from scrimmage that LSU was going to kill them. How sad is that - their very first play? It was a pass play into the flat that was so slow in developing that the LSU corner who read it had to throw on the brakes so as not to interfere with the receiver. It never got better from there - at least that pass was incomplete and not intercepted...

Sylvester Croom's tenure in Starkville has produced few wins and about as many points. In his fourth year, there is still no pop in the offense despite a defense that is pretty good (don't let the 45 points LSU hung on them fool you - the offense put the D in awful positions). They did not look ready to compete last night at home. Yes, LSU is good, but Mississippi State is really bad.

Let's all hope Croom can hang onto his job through 2008...because Tennessee plays the Bulldogs in each of the next two years.

5 comments:

Maximum Jack said...

I'll be honest, I was watching the James Blake match at the US Open a little more closely, but I was underwhelmed by LSU's offense. If the Bulldogs would have had anything remotely resembling an offense, it would have been a good game. I don't think the SEC West is going to be such a cakewalk for Les Miles.

Chris Carpenter said...

The better question (other than why were you watching men's tennis when there was college football on?) is: Can LSU win a national championship with a white running back? I don't see how...

There are few coaches in the country I think are worse than Les Miles. Does everyone remember when Miles was so baffled by Tennessee's comeback in Death Valley in 2005 (the year UT went 5-6) that he tried to call timeout after a turnover? Tennessee would have won last year's game is the referees had not missed Russell's fumble on the game-winning drive. Miles is way over his head at LSU.

And when did Louisiana become such a football player factory? 15 of LSU's starters are from Louisiana and they are LOADED. What is going on down there? It must be the gumbo.

Maximum Jack said...

Can LSU win the National Title? As I insinuated in my post, I'm not convinced they are going to win the SEC West.

Why was I watching men's tennis? The US Open is arguably the most exciting event in my favorite (to play) sport. Last night under the lights, Blake was taken to 5 sets by a guy who has been in the top 100 since 1990, but has never been ranked higher than 17! It was a helluva lot more exciting than the second half snoozefest down in Starkville.

Latimer TNAZ said...

Yeah, what a sad game. I believe the score was still 3-0 with 8 minutes left in the first half, and you just knew the bottom was about to fall out. Les Miles is a miserable coach, but I don't know if he even needs to coach with the recruits he has coming in. LSU will absolutely win the West. I can't see Arkansas repeating, and I don't think Auburn is ready yet.

Raul: Snoozefest? How can you be bored during the opening week of college football?

Maximum Jack said...

The only college football game that gets my undivided attention every Saturday is the Tennessee game. I just can't get excited about 40 games a week like I used to. Which reminds me. Chris, Gabrielle and I will be heading over with a crockpot full of chilli and all the makings for some good'ole Tennessee petros (I think it was invented in TN?)-- we'll be there about 7:45ish. In addition to supplying your lovely home and TV, can you furnish the beverages?